Comeback Yoga delivers free yoga classes to help military personnel, their families and supporters develop resiliency in response to their life experience that may include post-traumatic stress. It also offers scholarship opportunities for former veterans to become Yoga teachers. (Denver, CO)
Yoga Across America is in schools, military bases, parks, low-income communities, homeless shelters, children’s hospitals and many other locations where people don’t have access to the practice, or can’t afford it. (Sacramento, CA)
Yoga for Vets NYC Founded by a former Marine, the program is designed specifically for veterans dealing with injuries or trauma, but every veteran is welcome, regardless of age, era or experience. (NYC, NY)
Warriors at Ease is working to increase awareness about the power of Yoga and meditation and educate a network of professionals qualified to share evidence-based practices through programs that support the health and healing of service members, veterans and their families. (Silver Spring, MD)
Understanding the suffering is beyond me.
Understanding the healing is, too.
But in this moment I am here. Use me.
- Dr. Rachel Naomi Remen
Additional Resources for Working with Vets
- Inspirational Stories of Yoga and Veterans articles written for Yoga Journal
- Veterans, PTSD and Yoga by Yoga International
- How to Help with PTSD
- Mindful Yoga Therapy for Vets
- Can Yoga Ease Your PTSD? (US Department of Veteran’s Affairs)
- Best Practices for Yoga and Veterans
- Studies, articles, research databases, and other resources by Warriors at Ease